Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunburnt and satisfied

This weekend was everything The Mercury promised, and more.

The highlight was the Anti-Pulp Mill Rally, which saw a crowd of 15,000 gather in the centre of Hobart, then march through the city centre. The people who came out to protest were united in opposition to an environmental disaster, and the corrupt political process which led to its approval. There were old people, young people, hippies, yuppies, and everyone in between. It made me feel proud that such a broad range of people stood up to be counted, and it's good for the politicians to see that it isn't just radical greenies that they are up against.

The march stretched for over 2 city blocks, and there were people, signs and banners for as far as I could see in both directions. I felt moved and uplifted.

In complete contrast, today I went to the cricket, and sat in the sun drinking beer all afternoon with 5,500 of my fellow Tasmanians. It was a perfect warm Spring day, not a cloud in the sky, and the Australian cricket team were in fine form. I am a bit sunburnt, rather tired, and utterly satisfied with this weekend.

5 comments:

Jo said...

"This weekend was everything the Mercury promised, and more." Oh, how I envy you. It's winter here in Canada. *sigh*

P.S. I love painted toenails as well. Opi has the best colors.

Stella Devine said...

I would have loved to march against the pulp mill, but had to work instead. Have you heard about the boycott of ANZ Bank, who are supposed to be financing this dirty deal?

Nerevised said...

You can pledge your support to oppose Gunns building the mill at https://secure.wilderness.org.au/cyberactivist/cyberactions/07_11_pulp-mill-cyberaction.php

Leah said...

It's always moving to be part of something that's bigger than ourselves, isn't it? Glad you made your voice heard.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.